Friday, December 4, 2015

What Size Skateboard Deck Should I Ride?

Does Skateboard Size Matter? It Doesn't Really
As a skateboarder I have been asked this a ton by kids. I’m 35 years old right now. I skateboard in the streets, in parking lots, and wherever I go traveling. Kids come up to me and always ask about whether or not the skateboard they ride is a good fit. Well, it’s something to consider overall. Skateboards come in nearly every size and in some instances come in mini sizes. Which is best for your needs? Well, that’s a matter of preference.

Seriously, it’s a matter of preference. In my teenage years I rode a 7.75 x 31.5 all the time. Then I bought an 8.25 x 32 and thought it was too big. I ended up buying a second board at 7.87 x 32 and that was good for a while. But now? I’m riding an 8 x 32. The 8 is a good middle ground for me. However, if you are going to be doing a lot of flip tricks, then I would suggest going down to 7.75 x 31.5 or so.

If you’re going to be hitting a bowl or going to hit vert, you should go with 8.5 x 31.5 or so. If you’re cruising the streets, then get a 9 x 31 or shorter. However, you can do just about anything with all of these boards.

Recently, I saw Braille Skateboarding put up a video on this topic. It’s something that I absolutely agree with. Aaron from Braille Skateboarding talks about the size differential and shows you how he skates with each different site. I can affirm that it’s definitely a positive. I ride an 8 when I skate, do flip tricks, and grind rails. If I’m going to hit a mini ramp, I’ll ride an 8.5. If I go for a longer ride, I ride a Krooked 9-inch cruiser. I'm 5'10" tall, and 225 pounds, and my shoe size is a size 12. I have different boards for different things.

Anyways, check out this video for more of an explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...